Monday, November 9, 2015

                               Menstrual Cycle A Reality 

                          Something that can't be ignored:


Every month like clock work we wait for "aunt Flow" to visit Amaya... Amaya started at a pretty early age. About 10. At first I was so confused on what to do. Not only the shock that my Amaya (the youngest) in our clan, was now a woman, but how was I to handle it?

The first thing I did was take Amaya to a doctor and ask what kind of options we had. He shrugged his shoulders and said "there are birth-controls that will stop it.. 

I had a lot of thinking to do.. What was not only better for Amaya but easier for her also? There had to be a compromise! She has no other need to be on birth control,what would the effects be on my 10 year old"s developing body? I wouldn't take birth control to get rid of my period.

                                    We Opted Out:

Amaya was still in elementary school at the time. They didn't like the fact that she might start at school, and had no idea how to handle it since it was after all an elementary school.So they decided to move her over to a middle school the next year. Which is another subject and story in itself..

                            What we have been doing

Amaya is pretty regular. We all know when she is PMSing.. Soo Chocolate. We give her some chocolate and sweets during her PMS time to Que her in. Sometimes with non-verbal people we have to give outside the box cues. Sensory cues.. 

When Amaya "starts" I keep her out of school until she is done. I have no idea if she has cramps, but she always gets lazy and cozy after she "starts". Lots of warm baths with lavender oils. Basically girly pamper time. We try to make it a positive experience. and it works

                       The hardest Part
 Standing up for Amaya's rights has been the hardest. There has been allot of people that think I should, or try to convince me to put Amaya on meds for this. Allot of professionals that try to take advantage of a subject no one talks about hoping that I am ignorant. Support has been another hard one, in fact I'm pretty sure there will be some autistic groups that will delete this blog when I share it. That's the hardest part. Not my daughter.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment